Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Susur, Friend, Cocktail Dress. Dude.

Last night, Kate and I had dinner at Susur.

I wore a cocktail dress. Which you really can't see in this picture.




















But trust me, it was a dress that made the woman taking my money at the parking lot say, "What a beautiful dress!" and a yahoo honk at me and scream "GORGEOUS!" while walking to the restuarant. I wish I could wear that dress every day - not because of the dirty old man shouting, but because it makes me feel freaking pretty.

Anyway, this was my third experience at Susur, and I have to say it wasn't the best. Perhaps it had to do with the fact that it was the first night of a new menu, but things seemed a little off. It was still a lovely, delicious meal, but it didn't knock the socks off my ass like previous meals.

Our server was lovely, but had a thick french accent, and neither of us could understand half of what he was saying, so descriptions are a little sketchy. I had the vegetarian 5 course tasting menu, Kate had the meaty 6 course - we shared the desert course, as you'll see below.


Amouse Bouche
















From the left - Pineapple, tomato and some kind of reduction; zuchinni, carrot and some kind of reduction; tofu and some kind of gelle reduction


First Course

















Squash filled with dal curry topped with baby carrots, asparagus, peas and toasted almonds, with two types of sauces made from heirloom tomatos, a cherry tomato, pineapple and some other kind of reduction


Second Course
















Gnocchi in a tart tomato cheese sauce with cherry tomatos, peas and parmageno. Sorry the photo is so washed out! I just wanted to dig in and forgot to fiddle around with the exposure.



Third Course
















Artichoke filled with spinach and ricotta, top with toasted almonds, flanked by cooked pears on top of an apple foam (Kate also had this as one of her courses - I'm hoping she got a shot that isn't so washed out)


Fourth Course
















From the top, clockwise: two slices of heirloom tomato sandwiching a ricota mixture, heirloom tomato gazpacho, heirloom tomatos on a thin cheese wafer, balsamic vinegar gelle, roased vidalia onion


Fifth Course - two angles
































Top level: kiwi sorbet on meringe, another citrus sorbet toppped with meringue on a thin biscuit, cocoa tulle filled with chocolate mousse and topped with raspberries, tart topped with chocolate ganache and sugared cranberries, tart with pistachio cream topped with mango slices

Second level: warm chocolate cake with a peanut, peanut butter and pear centre, black tea creme brule topped with blueberries, coconut cake and banana reduction, summer berry gelle, and a chocolate cherry tart with vanilla ice cream

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Looks almost as good as the Dominos Pizza I had for dinner last night.

And I AM talking about the dress.

Melissa said...

Rose, I love you.

That is all.

Melissa said...

Whatever, Mrs Robinson!

I must say, having to wait at home for the reno people had an upside. I, too, got home and promptly fell into a food coma.