Monday, July 03, 2006

Revisiting A Band Crush

Do you know what the best thing about the movie The Wedding Crashers is? The delighted flutter I got in my gut when I heard the frenzied guitar opening to the first song played over the closing credits. I may have also clapped my hands together like a 3-year-old when the opening strains of Aside by The Weakerthans began.

I swear, The Weakerthans are everything that I crush on about anything. Beautiful and smart and oddbally sweet.

The first time I heard Left and Leaving, I was struck by how familiar it sounded - not because I had heard anything like it before, but because it sounded like me. Like what I wish the soundtrack of my life would play like. And for that reason alone, it will always sit, highly, on my top ten records of all time. That's right - ALL TIME.

There aren't many bands that can pen a line like "Circumnavigate this body of wonder and uncertainty. Armed with every previous failure, and amateur cartography" and make me sing along and shake my ass like a flat-out goon. And I'm so, so glad that they can. And they do. And I will love them forever for it.

Linka-linka
The Weakerthans official site
The Weakerthans MySpace page

No comments: