Sunday, February 05, 2006

Well, God Damn

A couple of weeks ago, NBC bowed to pressure heaped upon it from affiliates in the Bible Belt and the kids who buy airtime to broadcast commercials and cancelled The Book of Daniel.

Did I say God Damn already? Because, really, God Damn.

Apparently, showing a minister with real problems is problematic. Who knew that those who decide to dedicate their lives to the service of God are supposed to have perfect, pure lives? And that their conversations with the God that they serve are only ever supposed to be one sided? Not me, that's for sure.

But who am I to question the godly protestors? I seem to remember giving up organized religion due, in part, to the very fact that some of the most horrid people I knew lauded themselves for being godly and uber-religious (interesting, that). I am so out of the religion loop, I should be ashamed.

Although NBC did what they had to do (questionable, as it is), I do applaud their commitment to getting the unaired episodes out to the show's audience. Every Friday, true to its original airtime schedule, NBC is airing all of the episodes filmed up to the time of it's cancellation via their website. Why this is different from airing on TV, I'm not quite sure. Perhaps the religious shun the Internet? Either way, I'm glad the show is continuing on in another medium. And I'm glad that I'll get to see it.

Here's the deal:
. Fire on up IE 5.5 or higher on a Windows machine.
. Head on over to NBC.com/The_Book_of_Daniel.
. Watch the episodes.
. Head back next week for a new show.
. Fall a little more in love with Aiden Quinn.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I didn't think it was possible either, but every year, I fall just a little deeper. Oh, Aidan Quinn, you are blue-eyed quicksand.