Thursday, April 13, 2006

On the Subject of: Project Catwalk

So last post, I might have alluded to the fact that my seperate geek loves hardly ever collide. I apologize for this, as it was a BALD FACED LIE.

In recent years, my love for television, for horrid, trainwreck reality television, and my adoration for the world of fashion have collided in the most satisfactory of manners.

On these shores, it started with the intensely awful Supermodels, hosted by Myles from Bella, and produced by the people who gave you Popstars (hellloooo, Sugar Jones!). The hunt for a Canadian Supermodel! Holy crap.

A few years later, US television followed suit and put together some excellent craziness. For your browsing satisfaction, I give to you:

. America's Next Top Model - Now in it's 6th cycle
. Project Runway - Recently completed season 2, casting for season 3
. Manhunt: The Search for America's Most Gorgeous Male Model - Only a single, horrifying season, but I never missed an episode

And now, the lovely folks at Canada's LifeNetwork have seen fit to air the first season of Project Catwalk, the UK version of Project Runway. Ben De Lisi is no Tim Gunn, Elizabeth Hurley looks tight and drawn in the face like a 3-pack a day smoker, and the inclusion of an invisible narrator adds naught but annoyance, but I swear to God, I am gobbling up this show like it is sweet, sweet candy. How can you not love a show that puts crazy Isabella Blow in charge of the first challenge - a garden party frock made from materials purchased at a garden store.

The only thing that would make me happier about this show, aside from Tim Gunn sweeping in and telling everyone to Make It Work, would be if either the SkyOne or Life microsites invested the time or the effort to created the incredible online experience that Bravo's Project Runway's site does. I want Blogs and Podcasts and images of all of the clothing designed in all of the episodes. I want to be able to interact online with elements of the show. Dammit, I want the networks to feed my TV Fashion addiction!

Is that too much to ask?

No comments: