Thursday, December 01, 2005

Soft Serve is for Suckers!

I made use of my ice cream maker today. Or, perhaps I should call it an "ice cream" maker in reference to today's project, but, don't fault me, I wanted to start with something easy and inexpensive to get a feel for how the machine worked. And, let's face it, what I made? EXCELLENT. And nostalgic.

Earlier this year, I found out that Jell-O Pudding Pops had been reintroduced into the US market, and I swear to God, my whole body started to shake with excitement at the possibility that they'd make their way into Canada. So much so that I might have contacted Unilever Canada to ask about it? When they told me that it would be a cold day in Hell (a cold day in Hell WITHOUT PUDDING POPS) before they'd sell them up here, I may have spiraled into an ice-y snack-based depression.

Imagine my delight when I spied a recipe in my machine's accompanying instruction book for fudgesicle ice cream. Looking at the ingredients (2 packs of instant pudding and 3 cups of milk - see what I mean by "ice cream"?), I realized that, Goddamn, PUDDING POPS.

Of course, not being able to leave well enough alone, I added a tablespoon of cinnamon to the Jell-O Chocolate Fudge instant pudding powder ("chocolate" is always better when it's followed by "fudge" - they're best friends, you see), and when it was all finished up in the machine, I stirred in a cup of diced fresh strawberries.

And I can't tell you how it tastes because it's the consistency of soft serve! And soft serve is for suckers!

Really, though, it's getting a bit more of its freeze on right now.

And really? I do hate soft serve. With a passion. Always have. In fact, a friend got me all kinds of excited about an ice cream stand near her new home that my disappointment was almost palpable when we finally went and I realized that the place only served soft serve.

So, yeah. Pudding Pop excellence will be consumed this weekend. And real ice cream, REAL ice cream, REAL chocolate cinnamon cayenne ice cream, will be made next week.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

You are lovely and brilliant. My plans for the future included a Dickie Dee bicycle cart, but a boutique is so much better!