I am back from a wonderful weekend in Chicago, wherein I turned 34. I spent the weekend with my friends Lisa and Matt, and we had excellent meals, and experienced excellent shopping.
First, the meals.
Before the shopping began, Lisa and I had lunch at Karyn's, a raw food restaurant. I was delighted to find that it was just as good as NYC's Pure Food and Wine! We shared the following, and I very much wished that Karyn would put out a cook(construction?)book:
- Crimini Mushrooms stuffed with a Nut Pate and Topped with a Light Gravy
- Basil Scented Ravioli (wrapper made of jicama) with a Macademia Whipped CrËme Dressed with a Sun-Dried Tomato Puree
- Taste the Riches of the Ocean with this Creamy Sea Wrap, Filled with Avocado, Crunchy Walnut Pate, Sweet Onion and Basil Wrapped in a Seaweed Crepe
- Edible menu was a very thin, crisp cookie printed with edible ink, accompanied by a slightly salted pear gelee an pear reduction .
- White truffle brulee with a white truffle biscuit (veg) / maple and bacon biscuit (meat)
- Pan fried tofu (veg) / cod (meat) with soya miso puree and pan fried puffed rice
- Crispy hash browns, hard boiled egg with spinach (both were perfect cubes) with a kind of beans I can't remember (veg) and thin slices of beef (meat)
- Wee flourless chocolate and black tea cake, wee vanilla and lemon cake enrobed in gelee with raspberry
- Coffee ice cream with a cup of warm almond biscotti flavoured creamy liquid. The ice cream was freeze-dried, and you dipped it in the cup of warm liquid biscotti
Between lunch and dinner, Lisa and I went to a number of shops. I took pictures of the cuteness that came home with me.
At Habit, I picked up this brass necklace.
At Renegade Handmade, I bought this Erica Weiner bronze necklace of a mouse pelvis:
And this mounted bunny head, by T&A: