Monday, April 17, 2006

Sour at the Core

So, after a period off air, wherein MuchMusic purchased the string of channels that previously purchased the broadcast license in Canada, MTV is back on the air. The difference this time around? The channel is freely accessible if you have an upgraded basic cable package - think adding the first tier of specialty channels - and has a legal mandate to air anything but music videos.

This means, of course, that all the crazy "reality" shows I've only heard my American friends talk about are now accessible to my prying eyes.

This weekend, I sat through a number of episodes of the trainwreck My Super Sweet 16. The show chronicles the horridly parented children of rich parents as they, monster-like, demand and demand and whine and cry and demand and demand the party to end all parties to celebrate turning 16. Some of these events meet the $500,000 mark, when the various cars and jewels are added in, but really, I think the cost of the event, hell, the cost of the way the parents of these awful children have raised them, and continue to reinforce their behaviour, is uncountable.

Entitlement, you make me fear for the days to come. I can only hope that these children have a violent and shaking wake-up call in their near future.

No comments: